`Over Rs 5,850 cr of unspent central funds diverted to NLCPR`
New Delhi: Unspent funds to tune of over Rs 5,850 crore of various Union ministries, meant for projects and schemes in Northeast states, have been diverted to Non- Lapsable Central Pool of Resources between 2008-09 and 2010-11, government said on Tuesday.
Minister for Development of Northeastern Region Paban Singh Ghatowar, replying to a question in Lok Sabha, said unspent funds earmarked for the region was Rs 2,009.16 crore in 2008-09 while the amount was Rs 1,705.70 crore in 2009-10.
In 2010-11, unspent funds of various ministries was Rs 2,142.53 crore.
The Non-Lapsable Central Pool of Resources (NLCPR) pools unspent funds of various Union ministries which were mandated to spend 10 per cent of their budget allocation for development of northeastern region.
The Ministry for Development of northeastern Region allocates funds from the NLCPR to various Northeast states for infrastructure projects.
A number of Central ministries were mandated to allocate at least 10 per cent of their plan budget for developmental schemes in Northeast states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...