Police still clueless on culprits involved in scribe attack
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh police are yet to make a breakthrough in the case where a woman journalist was shot here on July 15 even as the demand for CBI to handle investigations gained momentum, official sources said on Saturday.
Police have already rounded up six persons and is maintaining vigilance on twelve others while probing various angles to crack the case, Capital Complex Superintendent of Police Hibu Tamang said.
"We have taken up the case as a challenge with all possible steps on to solve it at the earliest," Tamang said.
Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki had yesterday said the case would be handed over to other premier investigating agencies if the state police failed to make a breakthrough.
Talking to reporters, he said no stone would be left unturned to nab the culprits who shot at Tongam Rina, the associate editor of Arunachal Times.
Tuki said he had already directed the police department to carry out an extensive inquiry, in a time bound manner, in order to catch the culprits.
Referring to previous attacks on media persons and media houses, including the April 15 vandalisation of Arunachal Times office, Hibu Tamang said, "Police being human beings cannot be expected to be omnipresent and omniscient."
"We seek the wholehearted willing cooperation of the civil society to crack the cases and also to maintain law and order to restore the confidence of the people," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note