Security strengthened for pujas in Tripura
Agartala: An alert has been sounded and security strengthened in Tripura ahead of the Durga Puja festival beginning tomorrow, police sources said on Saturday.
Security forces are deployed in all parts of the state including towns where the maximum pujas are being performed and vehicles are being checked, the sources said.
According to records available with the Agartala Municipal Council and 15 nagar panchayat authorities, about 2,200 community pujas are being organised in the state this year.
Chairman of the Agartala Municipal Council, Prafullajit Sinha said officially 351 pujas are being organised in Agartala, but the police said there are about 1000, including 81 new pujas.
"I wish puja passes off peacefully, but people should remain alert during the pujas," Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said at a function yesterday.
In 2008 Agartala was rocked by serial bomb blasts by collaborators of insurgents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued