Security strengthened for pujas in Tripura
Agartala: An alert has been sounded and security strengthened in Tripura ahead of the Durga Puja festival beginning tomorrow, police sources said on Saturday.
Security forces are deployed in all parts of the state including towns where the maximum pujas are being performed and vehicles are being checked, the sources said.
According to records available with the Agartala Municipal Council and 15 nagar panchayat authorities, about 2,200 community pujas are being organised in the state this year.
Chairman of the Agartala Municipal Council, Prafullajit Sinha said officially 351 pujas are being organised in Agartala, but the police said there are about 1000, including 81 new pujas.
"I wish puja passes off peacefully, but people should remain alert during the pujas," Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said at a function yesterday.
In 2008 Agartala was rocked by serial bomb blasts by collaborators of insurgents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez