Security strengthened for pujas in Tripura
Agartala: An alert has been sounded and security strengthened in Tripura ahead of the Durga Puja festival beginning tomorrow, police sources said on Saturday.
Security forces are deployed in all parts of the state including towns where the maximum pujas are being performed and vehicles are being checked, the sources said.
According to records available with the Agartala Municipal Council and 15 nagar panchayat authorities, about 2,200 community pujas are being organised in the state this year.
Chairman of the Agartala Municipal Council, Prafullajit Sinha said officially 351 pujas are being organised in Agartala, but the police said there are about 1000, including 81 new pujas.
"I wish puja passes off peacefully, but people should remain alert during the pujas," Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said at a function yesterday.
In 2008 Agartala was rocked by serial bomb blasts by collaborators of insurgents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- 'Selfie' with Bulandshahr DM B Chandrakala lands 18-year-old in jail
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!