Six Kuki militants killed in Manipur encounter
Imphal: At least six militants of Kuki National Front (KNF) were killed in an encounter with the security personnel in Manipur`s Bishenpur district, official sources said.
Acting on a tip-off, personnel of 10th Assam Rifles battalion surrounded the militants in Kangchup and Singda dam area in Senapati district during which they fired upon them.
The security personnel also returned the fire, triggering a brief gun battle, which ended with the killing of the ultras, they said.
The para-military forces were continuing the search operations to nab the remaining militants who reportedly escaped through nearby hill areas.
Meanwhile, four AK-47 rifles, one A3 rifle, one M16 rifle and some rounds of ammunitions were found at the spot, sources said, adding that KNF was one of the signatories of suspension of operation (SOO) agreement under which the government forces suspended operation against them.
Sources said said the representatives of state and Central governments had signed SOO agreement with some of the militant factions some years ago.
Under the SOO agreement, the militants were expected not to move around with arms and not to extort money from general public, the sources said.
The SOO signatories, particularly Kuki militant outfits, who have been demanding formation of a `Kukiland` by breaking up of 22,327 sq km Manipur, had been asked to confine themselves at particular designated camps which were set up by the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US