Six Kuki militants killed in Manipur encounter
Imphal: At least six militants of Kuki National Front (KNF) were killed in an encounter with the security personnel in Manipur`s Bishenpur district, official sources said.
Acting on a tip-off, personnel of 10th Assam Rifles battalion surrounded the militants in Kangchup and Singda dam area in Senapati district during which they fired upon them.
The security personnel also returned the fire, triggering a brief gun battle, which ended with the killing of the ultras, they said.
The para-military forces were continuing the search operations to nab the remaining militants who reportedly escaped through nearby hill areas.
Meanwhile, four AK-47 rifles, one A3 rifle, one M16 rifle and some rounds of ammunitions were found at the spot, sources said, adding that KNF was one of the signatories of suspension of operation (SOO) agreement under which the government forces suspended operation against them.
Sources said said the representatives of state and Central governments had signed SOO agreement with some of the militant factions some years ago.
Under the SOO agreement, the militants were expected not to move around with arms and not to extort money from general public, the sources said.
The SOO signatories, particularly Kuki militant outfits, who have been demanding formation of a `Kukiland` by breaking up of 22,327 sq km Manipur, had been asked to confine themselves at particular designated camps which were set up by the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH