Tamang murder accused arrested after breaking leg
Siliguri: A GJM activist accused in the
murder of Gorkha leader Madan Tamang, has been arrested in a
bizarre turn of events after she fell down while trying to
escape through a window at her residence and broke her leg.
GJM Nari Morcha central committee member Babita
Ganguly, whose name figures in the CID charge sheet filed in
connection with the murder of the former All India Gorkha
League president, jumped out of a window after a police team
came to her Kakjhora Rockwood residence in Darjeeling.
She fell down and fractured her leg. She was admitted
to the Sadar Hospital and operated upon, Darjeeling SP D P
Singh said today.
The police had suffered a setback after the prime
accused in the case, Nickol Tamang, fled from its custody at
Pintal village on August 21. Tamang was killed in broad
daylight in the heart of Darjeeling on May 21.
Though GJM central committee member Benoy Tamang
claimed Babita was innocent. She had been absconding for the
past three months.
Recently, a Darjeeling district court had ordered
seizure of the property of all 23 absconding accused including
Babita Ganguly named in the charge sheet.
GJM`s press and publicity chief Harka Bahadur Chhetri
told PTI he had no knowledge if Babita was at all in-charge of
any GJM frontal organisation and claimed the arrest had been
made to put pressure before the political level talks on
November 11 on the Darjeeling issue.
According to police, Babita was part of the core team
involved in the murder of Tamang.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert