Top insurgent leader surrenders in Tripura
Agartala: A self-styled army chief of outlawed National Liberation Front of Twipra (NLFT) Parashuram Tripura has surrendered before the police.
The 51-year-old insurgent leader was carrying a cash award of Rs 1 lakh over his head and Centre had issued red corner notice through Interpol for his arrest, IG Police (control) Nepal Das said.
He surrendered last night along with his wife and three children before Director General of Police, C Balasubramanian, he said, adding that during preliminary interrogation it was known that the NLFT was faction ridden and suffering from acute fund crunch after shifting their hideouts from Bangladesh to Myanmar.
He is being interrogated by a special contingent of police force and it is expected that some startling facts would be available from him.
The insurgent leader is a convent educated man who joined NLFT in 1994 and got his arms training in Pakistan with the help of ISI.
He was also assigned by his organisation for buying and selling of arms from different sources and maintaining coordination with other insurgent groups of the north eastern region, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble