Tripura: TPCC general secretary resigns
Agartala: Ahead of the Assembly elections due in February next, the opposition Congress in Tripura suffered a jolt as the Tripura Pradesh Congress Committee general secretary Pradyot Bikram Kishore has resigned from his post.
In a letter to the TPCC president Sudip Roy Barman last night, Kishore communicated his decision to resign from the post of general secretary but did not cite any reason.
"My parents had been lifelong Congress loyalists and had been MLA, minister and MPs, I too shall remain a Congressman but I cannot remain an office-bearer in the present set-up, the treatment being meted out to me ever since I became a general secretary is not what it should have been," Pradyot, a member of the erstwhile Royal family of the state told a news agency.
"I do not hanker after anything, high posts or positions as legislator, but how can I continue in the party if I am not able to protect the honour of my family and even my own mother," he said.
Pradyot said he would be flying to Delhi today and would apprise the Congress high command in detail about the situation that forced him to resign from the post.
Former Congress MLA and TPCC spokesperson Tapas De, a close aide of Pradyot, said his resignation would damage party base in the tribal inhabited areas as he is the son of the former king, Maharaja Kirit Bikram Kishore Manikya Bahadur and the family had influence over the indigenous people of the state.
Prayot`s mother Bibhu Devi was a former Revenue minister of the state and MP for two consecutive terms in 1989 and 1991. His father late Kirit Bikram Kishore Manikya had been MP for two terms in 1967 and 1977.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued