Tripura: TPCC general secretary resigns
Agartala: Ahead of the Assembly elections due in February next, the opposition Congress in Tripura suffered a jolt as the Tripura Pradesh Congress Committee general secretary Pradyot Bikram Kishore has resigned from his post.
In a letter to the TPCC president Sudip Roy Barman last night, Kishore communicated his decision to resign from the post of general secretary but did not cite any reason.
"My parents had been lifelong Congress loyalists and had been MLA, minister and MPs, I too shall remain a Congressman but I cannot remain an office-bearer in the present set-up, the treatment being meted out to me ever since I became a general secretary is not what it should have been," Pradyot, a member of the erstwhile Royal family of the state told a news agency.
"I do not hanker after anything, high posts or positions as legislator, but how can I continue in the party if I am not able to protect the honour of my family and even my own mother," he said.
Pradyot said he would be flying to Delhi today and would apprise the Congress high command in detail about the situation that forced him to resign from the post.
Former Congress MLA and TPCC spokesperson Tapas De, a close aide of Pradyot, said his resignation would damage party base in the tribal inhabited areas as he is the son of the former king, Maharaja Kirit Bikram Kishore Manikya Bahadur and the family had influence over the indigenous people of the state.
Prayot`s mother Bibhu Devi was a former Revenue minister of the state and MP for two consecutive terms in 1989 and 1991. His father late Kirit Bikram Kishore Manikya had been MP for two terms in 1967 and 1977.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi