Two terrorists surrender in Tripura
Agartala: Ahead of the Lok Sabha elections, two hardcore extremists, who fled from their hideouts in Bangladesh, surrendered to the Border Security Force (BSF), an official said here on Saturday.
Tripura Police in a separate incident arrested six Bangladeshi nationals from the outskirts of the capital city Agartala on Friday night.
"Two NLFT (National Liberation Front of Tripura) militants surrendered before the BSF at Acharjeepara border outposts in northern Tripura Friday evening," BSF chief spokesman BS Rawat told reporters.
He said the surrendered militants - self-styled warrant officer Amrit Debbarma and self-styled sergeant Jugal Debbarma - joined the NLFT in 1998 and 2002 respectively, and were involved in many violent activities and abductions of civilians in Tripura.
Both the terrorists took arms training in Bangladesh and are being interrogated by senior police and intelligence officials.
Amrit Debbarma surrendered along with his wife and two children.
The Union Home Ministry had banned the NLFT and another extremist outfit, All Tripura Tiger Force, in 1997.
Meanwhile, in a separate development, six Bangladeshi nationals were arrested from Nandannagar, on the outskirts of the capital city Agartala.
All of them are being interrogated by senior police and intelligence officials, and will be presented before a local court on Saturday.
The Union Home Ministry on the advice of the Election Commission has asked the BSF to be on high alert along the Bangladesh border in view of the Lok Sabha Elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’