Two terrorists surrender in Tripura
Agartala: Ahead of the Lok Sabha elections, two hardcore extremists, who fled from their hideouts in Bangladesh, surrendered to the Border Security Force (BSF), an official said here on Saturday.
Tripura Police in a separate incident arrested six Bangladeshi nationals from the outskirts of the capital city Agartala on Friday night.
"Two NLFT (National Liberation Front of Tripura) militants surrendered before the BSF at Acharjeepara border outposts in northern Tripura Friday evening," BSF chief spokesman BS Rawat told reporters.
He said the surrendered militants - self-styled warrant officer Amrit Debbarma and self-styled sergeant Jugal Debbarma - joined the NLFT in 1998 and 2002 respectively, and were involved in many violent activities and abductions of civilians in Tripura.
Both the terrorists took arms training in Bangladesh and are being interrogated by senior police and intelligence officials.
Amrit Debbarma surrendered along with his wife and two children.
The Union Home Ministry had banned the NLFT and another extremist outfit, All Tripura Tiger Force, in 1997.
Meanwhile, in a separate development, six Bangladeshi nationals were arrested from Nandannagar, on the outskirts of the capital city Agartala.
All of them are being interrogated by senior police and intelligence officials, and will be presented before a local court on Saturday.
The Union Home Ministry on the advice of the Election Commission has asked the BSF to be on high alert along the Bangladesh border in view of the Lok Sabha Elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!