Agnivesh for peace talks between govt and Maoists
Bhubaneswar: Slamming the Centre`s move to launch a massive anti-Maoist operation after the May 25 Naxal attack in Chhattisgarh, activist Swami Agnivesh on Monday said a dialogue with the ultras would be more beneficial for the country instead of counter-violence.
"Maoists are ready for talks. A counter-violence will further escalate tension in the three states of Chhattisgarh, Odisha and Jharkhand," Agnivesh told reporters here.
Claiming that Maoist leaders were ready for talks with the government, Agnivesh said he had already spoken to Kobad Ghandy in Tihar jail and CPI (Maoist) Politburo member Narayan Sanyal at a Chhattisgarh jail on the issue. They, however, want both sides to abjure violence for three months, he said.
Agnivesh condemned the May 25 Maoist attack which lives of 27 people. The activist claimed that many innocent tribals would be killed if the government launched a massive anti-Maoist operation.
"A `boli` (talk) can resolve the problem and not `goli` (bullet), he said.
The activist alleged that in several instances innocent tribals, including children, have been killed in anti-Maoist operations. "I condemn both the police operation and Maoist attacks. I do not support any kind of violence, be it from Maoist or police," Agnivesh said in response to a media query.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon