BJD dharna demanding special category status for Odisha
Bhubaneswar: The ruling BJD on Monday staged a dharna near Raj Bhavan here to protest against the Centre`s denial of special category status to Odisha while according the same to the newly created Seemandhra after bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh.
The activists of the BJD`s youth wing accused the Congress led UPA government of adopting discriminatory policies for narrow political benefits.
"Dr Manmohan Singh did not work as the Prime Minister of India. But he behaved like the PM of Congress party," said Sanjay Dasburma, president of the youth wing of the BJD.
He alleged that the prime minister was being used for narrow political ends of the Congress.
"While the Centre had cited the Raghuram Rajan committee report to decline special category state status to Odisha, how come it has awarded the same to Seemandhra? the BYJD chief asked.
According to the Raghuram Rajan Committee report, Odisha is one of the most backward states and should get special category status, the BJD leaders said demanding the status for the state.
Dasburma said the party activists would continue the agitation over the issue from February 26.
Opposition Congress, however, maintained that the BJD should convene an all party meeting on the issue rather than playing politics over it.
"When a state gets divided, some packages are usually announced to the part that is affected by the bifurcation. So, there is no question of neglecting any other state. If the BJD thinks so, the chief minister should call an all party meeting and put the demand before the Centre," said Congress media cell chairman Narsingh Mishra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter