BJD intensifies protest against Nalco plan
Bhubaneswar: Odisha`s ruling Biju Janta Dal (BJD) on Friday held a rally and demonstration here as part of intensified protests against the Central government`s decision of disinvestment in the state-run Nalco, a senior party leader said.
Demanding a roll back of the decision, hundreds of leaders and workers, including Legislators and Parliament members of the party, carried out a march shouting slogans against the Central government.
Joined by a large number of Nalco employees, the protestors also staged a demonstration and held a meeting near the corporate headquarters of the company.
The demonstrators announced that they will intensify their agitation until the government withdraws its decision.
"Nalco is a profitable company. The Central government has taken the decision to provide benefit to the private companies," Sanjay Das Burma, BJD legislator and chief of the party`s youth wing said.
"People of the state are emotionally attached with Nalco. We condemn the Central government`s decision. We will intensify our protest further," he added.
The Central government holds an 87.15 percent stake in the aluminium producer. The Union Cabinet recently decided to bring down its stake to 75 percent by selling 12.15 percent of its share.
While Nalco`s alumina refinery and bauxite mine are located at Damanjodi, its smelter and captive power plant are at Angul town. The company`s corporate headquarters is in Bhubaneswar. Nalco is India`s third-largest aluminium producer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway