BJD intensifies protest against Nalco plan
Bhubaneswar: Odisha`s ruling Biju Janta Dal (BJD) on Friday held a rally and demonstration here as part of intensified protests against the Central government`s decision of disinvestment in the state-run Nalco, a senior party leader said.
Demanding a roll back of the decision, hundreds of leaders and workers, including Legislators and Parliament members of the party, carried out a march shouting slogans against the Central government.
Joined by a large number of Nalco employees, the protestors also staged a demonstration and held a meeting near the corporate headquarters of the company.
The demonstrators announced that they will intensify their agitation until the government withdraws its decision.
"Nalco is a profitable company. The Central government has taken the decision to provide benefit to the private companies," Sanjay Das Burma, BJD legislator and chief of the party`s youth wing said.
"People of the state are emotionally attached with Nalco. We condemn the Central government`s decision. We will intensify our protest further," he added.
The Central government holds an 87.15 percent stake in the aluminium producer. The Union Cabinet recently decided to bring down its stake to 75 percent by selling 12.15 percent of its share.
While Nalco`s alumina refinery and bauxite mine are located at Damanjodi, its smelter and captive power plant are at Angul town. The company`s corporate headquarters is in Bhubaneswar. Nalco is India`s third-largest aluminium producer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant