Centre seeks status report on Posco
Bhubaneswar: Ahead of the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s proposed visit to Orissa next week, Centre has sought a status report of the Posco project facing stiff opposition from the local people.
"We have received a letter from the deputy secretary,
Ministry of Steel yesterday seeking a status report of the
Posco project. We submitted it today," an official said.
The state government in its report had claimed that 2,000
acres of land had so far been acquired, sources said adding
that of the total 3719 acre of land required for setting up
the 12mtpa greenfield steel plant, only 10 per cent of land
belonged to private persons.
The remaining land belonged to the state government under
illegal possession of some villagers, it said.
The state government also said about 720 families were
likely to be displaced for the project, but a handsome
rehabilitation package had been made for them.
However, the state government informed that the company
was yet to get the raw material linkage due to a court case
over the prospecting license (PL) for Khandadhar iron ore
reserve in Sundergarh district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH