Centre seeks status report on Posco
Bhubaneswar: Ahead of the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s proposed visit to Orissa next week, Centre has sought a status report of the Posco project facing stiff opposition from the local people.
"We have received a letter from the deputy secretary,
Ministry of Steel yesterday seeking a status report of the
Posco project. We submitted it today," an official said.
The state government in its report had claimed that 2,000
acres of land had so far been acquired, sources said adding
that of the total 3719 acre of land required for setting up
the 12mtpa greenfield steel plant, only 10 per cent of land
belonged to private persons.
The remaining land belonged to the state government under
illegal possession of some villagers, it said.
The state government also said about 720 families were
likely to be displaced for the project, but a handsome
rehabilitation package had been made for them.
However, the state government informed that the company
was yet to get the raw material linkage due to a court case
over the prospecting license (PL) for Khandadhar iron ore
reserve in Sundergarh district.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?