Centre seeks status report on Posco
Bhubaneswar: Ahead of the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s proposed visit to Orissa next week, Centre has sought a status report of the Posco project facing stiff opposition from the local people.
"We have received a letter from the deputy secretary,
Ministry of Steel yesterday seeking a status report of the
Posco project. We submitted it today," an official said.
The state government in its report had claimed that 2,000
acres of land had so far been acquired, sources said adding
that of the total 3719 acre of land required for setting up
the 12mtpa greenfield steel plant, only 10 per cent of land
belonged to private persons.
The remaining land belonged to the state government under
illegal possession of some villagers, it said.
The state government also said about 720 families were
likely to be displaced for the project, but a handsome
rehabilitation package had been made for them.
However, the state government informed that the company
was yet to get the raw material linkage due to a court case
over the prospecting license (PL) for Khandadhar iron ore
reserve in Sundergarh district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere