Chit fund scam: Saradha Group`s office closed in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: The Economic Offence Wing of Odisha Police on Saturday sealed office of Saradha Group at Balasore while the district administration of Kendrapara decided to involve panchayati raj institutions (PRIs) to create awareness among people against investment in chit fund companies.
A team of the EOW which had been camping at Balasore for the last three days in presnce of the magistrate sealed office of Saradha Group at Fakir Mohan Gole at Balasore after seizing some of the documents.
The team also recovered hardware of the company`s several computers for verification, an official said.
Meanwhile, the EOW continued to record statements of the people who claimed to have invested in Saradha Group. The team was expected to visit Puri from Monday as many people in the holy town also complained of being duped by the Kolkata based chit fund firm.
Meanwhile, the distrct administration of Kendrapara today decided to involve PRIs and issue advisories to village level leaders requesting to spread awareness on risk involved in dubious chit funds and financial companies.
The district administration`s decision in this regard came after a large number of people of coastal Kendrapara and Jagatsinghpur area lodged complaint against one DP Company which allegedly closed its offices after collecting about Rs 4 crore from farmers and daily laburers.
"It has been often found that major portion of rural people are ignorant and hence are easily lured by chit funds. The PRI bodies would be called upon to convince the people to abstain from dubious NBFCs, chit funds," said Kendrapara Additional District Magistrate, Ashok Kumar Panda.
The panchayat bodies with their mass base could influence the people not to dabble in risky investment plans, Panda said adding that their efforts would be to encourage the people to invest their hard-earned money in government-sponsored small investment schemes, Panda added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh