Clash at proposed Posco plant site in Orissa
Paradip: A clash between contract workers
and opponents of the proposed Posco steel plant project
occurred at Dhinkia in Orissa`s Jagatsinghpur district on Monday,
Inspector-in-charge, Kujanga, Gupteswar Bhoi said armed
police force had been deployed at Sandhakuda, seven km from
Mahal and police was keeping vigil as tension prevailed in the
While Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti (PPSS) leaders
alleged assault by goons hired by the contractor engaged for
construction of a coastal road to the project site the latter
accused anti-Posco activists of attacking the workers.
"Goons and workers hired by the contractor launched an
attack on innocent people," PPSS spokesman Abhay Sahu alleged.
Sahu claimed 28 persons sustained injuries after being
attacked by lathi wielding people, who raided the area near
Mahal under Dhinkia panchayat and attacked the villagers,
including women and children.
Opposing construction of the 10 km long road along the
coast from the Oil Refinery on the sea beach up to the
proposed Posco site, PPSS supporters have been sitting on
dharna at Mahal ever since the foundation stone for the same
was laid in August, PPSS leaders said.
The contractor engaged by Ersama-Paradip Silpa Vikas
Parishad had gone to the area with machines and workers and
after being resisted from carrying out the work, allegedly
applied force on the protesters, Sahu claimed.
However, the contractor Bapi Sarkar refuted the
allegation levelled by PPSS leaders and charged the anti-Posco
people with attacking the workers with brickbats and stones.
As news spread in the area, hundreds of people from
nearby villages gathered. Sensing trouble, the contractor and
his workers left the area with their machines and equipment,
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended