Company CEO jailed on treason charge for Maoist li
Malkangiri: Nine employees including the CEO of a Hyderabad-based private construction company have been remanded to judicial custody on charges of treason after being arrested for allegedly supplying explosives to Maoists in the district.
The nine, arrested on Friday, were produced before the sub-divisional Judicial Magistrate, Malkangiri, Gyanranjan Biswal yesterday who sent them to judicial custody for 14 days.
They were charged under sections 13 and 18 of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and Explosives Act besides several sections of IPC.
They were arrested near Chittapari village under Orkel police station in the Maoist-hit district after 12 bags of explosive materials were seized from behind a stone crusher unit owned by the company.
The materials included state-of-the-art electronic gadgets, detonators, gelatine sticks, IED, user manuals besides Maoist literature and mobile phones.
"The seized materials have the potential to prepare at least 1000 landmines and other such high explosives. With this major catch, police thwarted a possible plan of a major offensive by the Maoists in the district," Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhilesh Singh said.
Those remanded were the CEO of the company, Arvu Gopal, General Manager T Jagananda, Engineers Y Jingmaya and Y Madvav, and N Madhava, K Sudhakar, MV Ravi Kumar, T Ratnam and Pradip Biswas.
Another accomplice Karunakar Reddy of Nalgonda in Andhra Pradesh, allegedly acting as middleman between the company and Maoists, was absconding, the SP added.
A police team would visit Hyderabad and if required would interrogate the company`s managing director M Purushottam, Singh said.
The company was undertaking road construction from Balimela to Chitrakonda, Malkangiri to Balimela and Kalimela to Motu in the Maoist-hit district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in