Dangaria Kondh tribals join anti-Posco agitation
Bhubaneswar: After successfully halting
Vedanta`s Rs 5,000 crore bauxite mining project at Niyamgiri
hills in Kalahandi district, Dangaria Kondh tribals joined
anti-Posco agitation on Thursday as mark of solidarity with those
opposing Posco`s mega steel plant near Paradip.
Carrying their traditional arms like axe, bows and
arrows, the 19-member delegation of Dangaria Kondh tribals
belonging to Niyamgiri Surakshya Samiti (NSS) led by its
president Dadhi Pursika sat at the site of ongoing dharna by
Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti (PPSS) at Gobindpur village
under Dhinkia gram panchayat.
"We came to Dhinkia as a mark of solidarity to the
agitating villagers who are fighting to save their land like
us," Pursika told reporters adding NSS would fully support
NSS also expressed concern over the state government`s
move to lease out Khandadhar iron ore reserve in Sundergarh
district to Posco. "A large number of tribals are likely to be
affected if Posco starts iron ore mining at Khandadhar,"
Meanwhile, Jagatsinghpur district administration could
not undertake construction of the boundary wall and sand
filling activities at the proposed plant site villages due to
heavy rain, official sources said.
The district officials met the 52 displaced families
who are presently staying at the company`s transit camp after
being allegedly driven out of Dhinkia village by PPSS for
supporting the project, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29