Disabled resort to begging, seek special cyclone relief
Berhampur: Demanding special relief from the government, disabled persons affected by cyclone Phailin in Odisha`s Ganjam district resorted to begging while staging an agitation.
"We took to begging as the government did not pay heed to our demands," said president of Odisha Bikalanga Manch Debasish Parmanik.
The disabled, including orthopaedically-handicapped, visually impaired and speech and hearing impaired from across the district staged the dharna near the vigilance office here yesterday.
Their demands included provision of cyclone relief to persons with disability, considering every individual as an unit and immediate rehabilitation of people severely hit by cyclone Phailin and the subsequent floods.
"These are our long-standing demands, but the government has deliberately ignored them," said secretary of the organisation Rajendra Kumar Bisoi.
He said around 2,000 disabled persons in the district have been affected by successive natural disasters.
"I did not get relief because I have no ration card," said Mami Das, 20, of Nehuli in Kodala tehsil, who joined the agitation.
The district administration has instructed block development officers (BDO) to provide relief to the disabled persons.
Many have got the relief, but there is no provision to treat every individual as an unit," said assistant collector (emergency) Mahendra Panda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city