Final chargesheet in Pipili rape, murder case file
Cuttack: The crime branch police of Odisha on Saturday filed the fourth and final charge sheet in the Pipili rape and murder case.
Investigating police officer Ramesh Chandra Sethy filed the final report before the Pipili court in which the attempt to murder charge earlier against key accused Prashant Pradhan was modified to murder charge.
"We converted the section 307 levelled against the key accused to section 302 of IPC after the victim died during treatment in SCB medical college and hospital of Cuttack on June 21 this year," Sethy said.
The post mortem report of the victim was also attached with the final report.
He was also charged under section 341 (wrongful restraint), 354 (assault to outrage the modesty of a woman), 506 (criminal intimidation) and 34 (common intention). The victim a 19-year Dalit girl of Arjungoda village of Pipili in Puri district was allegedly raped and an attempt was made on her life on November 29 last year. After battling for her life for over six months in coma the victim died.
The investigating police officers had expressed inability to substantiate the allegation of rape since the victim had been in coma since she was found in an unconscious state and her statement could not be recorded.
Besides the key accused, the crime branch police had also submitted charge sheets against three other accused, a police officer and three doctors in the case.
While only the four accused have been arrested, the police have not arrested the police officer and three doctors, who are booked under charges of SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
Prashant’s younger brother Sukanta and two of their associates were also arrested in January this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Panel discussion over rights of Muslim women
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train - Part II
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...