Heavy rain disrupts normal life in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Incessant rain over the past two days has thrown life out of gear in parts of Odisha, disrupting road traffic and causing damage to paddy crop in some areas, a weather official said Saturday.
Many places have witnessed rainfall due to the impact of Cyclone Nilam in the Bay of Bengal even though it has weakened. Rain was also continuing at several places, SC Sahu, director of the Bhubaneswar meteorological centre told IANS.
While the port town of Gopalpur received the state`s highest rainfall of 123 mm Friday, the coastal towns of Puri and Berhampur recorded a rainfall of 116.8 and 82 mm respectively, he said.
Rain continued to lash state capital Bhubaneswar which received about 88 mm rainfall Friday. Traffic was disrupted on national highway close to the city.
Large number of children Saturday preferred to stay at home and did not attend school.
The rain has damaged paddy crop in some places especially in the coastal belt, an official of the state agriculture department told a news agency.
The weather office has predicted heavy rains for some areas until Nov 5.
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Watch: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan's Punjabi swag in 'Tung Luk' from 'Sarbjit' will win your heart
- Patna's first mall 'P&M' may shut down soon: Report
- '10% rise in China apparel prices to create 1.2 million Indian jobs'
- Sensitive people more vulnerable to online dating scams
- 40 cities to be selected in second round of smart city project: Govt