Heavy rain disrupts normal life in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Incessant rain over the past two days has thrown life out of gear in parts of Odisha, disrupting road traffic and causing damage to paddy crop in some areas, a weather official said Saturday.
Many places have witnessed rainfall due to the impact of Cyclone Nilam in the Bay of Bengal even though it has weakened. Rain was also continuing at several places, SC Sahu, director of the Bhubaneswar meteorological centre told IANS.
While the port town of Gopalpur received the state`s highest rainfall of 123 mm Friday, the coastal towns of Puri and Berhampur recorded a rainfall of 116.8 and 82 mm respectively, he said.
Rain continued to lash state capital Bhubaneswar which received about 88 mm rainfall Friday. Traffic was disrupted on national highway close to the city.
Large number of children Saturday preferred to stay at home and did not attend school.
The rain has damaged paddy crop in some places especially in the coastal belt, an official of the state agriculture department told a news agency.
The weather office has predicted heavy rains for some areas until Nov 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city