Heavy rain disrupts normal life in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Incessant rain over the past two days has thrown life out of gear in parts of Odisha, disrupting road traffic and causing damage to paddy crop in some areas, a weather official said Saturday.
Many places have witnessed rainfall due to the impact of Cyclone Nilam in the Bay of Bengal even though it has weakened. Rain was also continuing at several places, SC Sahu, director of the Bhubaneswar meteorological centre told IANS.
While the port town of Gopalpur received the state`s highest rainfall of 123 mm Friday, the coastal towns of Puri and Berhampur recorded a rainfall of 116.8 and 82 mm respectively, he said.
Rain continued to lash state capital Bhubaneswar which received about 88 mm rainfall Friday. Traffic was disrupted on national highway close to the city.
Large number of children Saturday preferred to stay at home and did not attend school.
The rain has damaged paddy crop in some places especially in the coastal belt, an official of the state agriculture department told a news agency.
The weather office has predicted heavy rains for some areas until Nov 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon