Kandhamal riots: 14 get jail terms, 6 acquitted
Phulbani: Fourteen persons were on Saturday sentenced to three years rigorous imprisonment by a local here today for their involvement in the 2008 communal riots in Orissa`s Kandhamal district.
Fast track court Judge CR Das, however, acquitted six others due to lack of evidence.
Disposing of a riot-related case of Sindigaon village of Baliguda area, the court sentenced seven persons to three years RI and fined Rs 4,500 each for setting on fire houses belonging to people of the minority community and rioting.
Disposing of yet another case of house burning at Budamaha village in Raikia area, the judge found all the seven persons guilty of the crime.
Those acquitted had been accused for burning down a house at Sajeli village under G Udaygiri police station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal