Kingpin of bank fraud case arrested in Odisha
Berhampur: The alleged mastermind of a bank fraud case involving fake land documents used for getting loans at Digaphandi in Odisha`s Ganjam district area has been arrested, police said Thursday.
Bijay Kumar Panigrahi of Golanda village is said to be the kingpin in the fraud case as he allegedly arranged fake land documents for borrowers to obtain bank loan, they said.
While Panigrahi was arrested and forwarded to court yesterday, police also detained another person Ram Chandra Swain of Rajapur village for arranging fake documents, Suresh Kumar Tripathy, Inspector-in-charge of Digapahandi said.
Nirdosh Behera, manager of State Bank of India (SBI), Talasingi branch, had lodged FIRs against 36 persons with Digapahandi police on May 3 for taking loans from his branch by allegedly producing fake land documents during 2006-2014.
According to the Behera, most of the borrowers had taken the loan under the government`s scheme for procuring tractors. The fraud loan amount was around Rs 1.12 crore, police said.
The borrowers from different areas of the district, including Digapahandi, Sanakhemundi, Chikiti, Patrapur blocks and Berhampur towns had procured the loans, they said.
Police have arrested five borrowers from the different villages so far for taking loan by producing fake land documents.
Bijay, who was working for a tractor company as an agent, was instrumental in forgery of land documents for the landless persons to arrange loan from the bank. Both Bijay and Ram were taking handsome commission from the borrowers after sanction of loan, police said.
"It`s a major economic offence case, involving a number of people. Bank staff were also under scanner. Inquiry is on the case and other persons involved would be arrested soon," they said.
The fraud came to fore after the bank crosschecked the documents with respective sub-registrar and tehsil offices, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional