Lawyers against govt recommendation on Odisha HC bench
Cuttack: Annoyed over the state government`s recommendation for benches of Orissa High Court in western and southern parts, the court`s lawyers here today resolved to fight it `tooth and nail` legally and administratively.
The government move was Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik`s regional appeasement policy, the High Court Bar Association said at its general body meeting which decided to petition the union law minister against the CM`s letter of recommendation for setting up the HC benches.
It also agreed to move a writ petition in the HC challenging the government`s move on the ground that it had ignored the legalities and technicalities governing it.
Condemning the CM`s letter of recommendation to the union law minister, the association said the move was `highly illegal and in-appropriate` as the High Court in several previous judgments had turned down the constitution of more benches.
Moreover, no place in the state was fit to house any permanent bench of the HC as per the Yasobant Singh Committee report, the association said and questioned the recommendation as the judicial commission set up by the government itself was yet to give its report.
The commission is hearing the issue on day-to-day basis in view of the government`s direction to expedite it. But the government has completely ignored the commission making it irrelevant, the association said.
The ongoing boycott of the bar association would continue and other bar associations of the state would be roped in, including all the 14 functioning here, it said.
"We will decide the further course of action after a general body meeting of the bar tomorrow in which the executive members of all other bars of the city would be present," High Court bar association secretary Janmejaya Katakia added.
The lawyers` decision was taken a day after the state government recommended setting up two benches of the high court in western and southern regions.
Earlier, the HC lawyers had strongly objected to the state government`s move on the recommendation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'