Lawyers and police face-off in Cuttack
Cuttack: The stand-off between the striking lawyers and police continued for the consecutive day on Saturday as the advocates stayed out of the court rooms demanding action against a police inspector, who allegedly assaulted a lawyer.
The Orissa High Court bar association and other bars of the city today decided to continue their strike till Monday.
The stalemate began when an advocate of Cuttack civil court Nayan Biswal alleged that he was physically assaulted by Bidanasi police inspector Rabinarayan Barik on the night of February 18 and pushed into the police lock-up.
Barik maintained that the concerned lawyer in a drunken state had created ruckus inside the police station.
Cases against both Biswal and Barik have been registered.
While the Cuttack lawyers have made an appeal to other lawyers of the state for extending support to their cause, the Odisha Police Service Association (OPSA) and Odisha Havildar, Constable and Sepoy Confederation have thrown their weight behind the Odisha Police Association (OPA).
"We will meet again on Monday afternoon to take stock of the situation and decide about the further course of action", said the Cuttack Bar Association General Secretary Nityananda Beuria.
Sources said representatives of all 60-odd bars of the State would join the meeting convened by the Cuttack Bar Association on Monday.
Meanwhile, demanding judicial inquiry into the whole matter, the members of OPA held a meeting and also threatened to go on mass leave if any action was unilaterally taken against the police inspector without proper inquiry.
Representatives of OPSA and the confederation also attended today`s meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur