Lightning claims 15 lives in Orissa
Bhubaneswar: At least 15 people were killed
and 21 others injured after being struck by lightning in
different places of Orissa, official sources said on Wednesday.
Most of the victims were working in the field when
lightning struck them during heavy rains last evening, the
Nine deaths, three each in Kendrapara, Cuttack and
Khurda districts were reported due to separate lightning
incidents, Revenue and Disaster Management Minister, S N Patro
One person each died in Jharsuguda, Jajpur, Keonjhar,
Nayagarh, Sonepur and Balasore districts, he said.
Six persons were injured in lightning in Godeisahipatna
of Khurda district, while five in Begunia, two in Nayagarh,
two in Subarnapur, two in Cuttack district and four in
Kendrapara, he said.
At least ten people were killed in separate lightning
incidents in the state on Monday, sources said.
The district officials have been asked to send
detailed report about the incidents after which Rs 50,000
each would be provided to the families of the deceased persons
as financial assistance, the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor