Makar Sankranti in Orissa with holy dips
Bhubaneswar: Devotees took holy dips in ponds and rivers and visited temples as they celebrated the Makar Sankranti harvest festival in Orissa on Sunday. People also organised kite flying competitions in various places.
Over a lakh devotees from different parts of the country visited the Lord Jagannath Temple at Puri, about 56 km from here, and worshipped the deities early in the morning, the temple administration`s public relations officer said.
People in several places prepared special sweet rice made with sugar, banana, cheese, piled coconut, camphor and black pepper and offered it to the gods. They also distributed the special rice popularly known as Makar Chaula among each other.
Thousands of devotees also worshipped the sun god at Konark with great fervour and enthusiasm as the sun started its annual swing northwards, according to various Indian calendars.
In the southern district of Ganjam, which has a sizable Telugu population, people decorated the front of their houses with colourful rangoli and celebrated Pongal.
Tribals lighted bonfires, danced and organised feasts in various places in Mayurbhanj, Balasore, Keonjhar and Sundergarh districts.
People also organised kite flying competitions in places like Cuttack and state capital Bhubaneswar with fun and enthusiasm.
Makar Sankranti is considered one of the most auspicious days by Hindus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead