Maoist-backed outfit lays down demands for talks
Koraput/Bhubaneswar: Three days after the
Odisha government invited it for talks for release of abducted BJD MLA Jhina Hikaka, Maoist-backed Chasi Mulia Adivasi Sangh
Monday said it was willing to do so if certain conditions were
Listing the conditions for participating in the talks for
Hikaka`s release, outfit President Nachika Linga Linga, on the
run since 2009, said in a statement to the media that all
cases against him would have to be withdrawn, all jailed CMAS
members released and anti-Maoist operations halted.
Alleging that many CMAS members were in Koraput jail on
`false charges` for a very long time, Linga, said if the
conditions were fulfilled the Sangh would mediate for the
release of 37-year-old Laxmipur MLA Hikaka, who was abducted
on March 24.
After fulfilment of its demands, the CMAS would discuss
the matter with tribal groups like Niyamgiri Surakshya
Parishad, Mali Parbat Surakshya Parishad, Noka Dora and Konda
Reddy before talks with government, he said.
The state government was yet to respond to Linga`s
"We have taken note of the statement by the CMAS leader
to the media. It is being examined," a senior official said.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik had invited the CMAS after
Maoist-nominated mediators, B D Sharma and Dandapani Mohanty,
who took part in inconclusive talks for 10 days for the
release of Bosusco, left on Saturday saying they were leaving
as the government required more time.
Meanwhile, back channel efforts were underway by the
state government to free Italian Puri-based tour operator,
Paolo Bosusco, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi