Maoist-backed outfit lays down demands for talks
Koraput/Bhubaneswar: Three days after the
Odisha government invited it for talks for release of abducted BJD MLA Jhina Hikaka, Maoist-backed Chasi Mulia Adivasi Sangh
Monday said it was willing to do so if certain conditions were
Listing the conditions for participating in the talks for
Hikaka`s release, outfit President Nachika Linga Linga, on the
run since 2009, said in a statement to the media that all
cases against him would have to be withdrawn, all jailed CMAS
members released and anti-Maoist operations halted.
Alleging that many CMAS members were in Koraput jail on
`false charges` for a very long time, Linga, said if the
conditions were fulfilled the Sangh would mediate for the
release of 37-year-old Laxmipur MLA Hikaka, who was abducted
on March 24.
After fulfilment of its demands, the CMAS would discuss
the matter with tribal groups like Niyamgiri Surakshya
Parishad, Mali Parbat Surakshya Parishad, Noka Dora and Konda
Reddy before talks with government, he said.
The state government was yet to respond to Linga`s
"We have taken note of the statement by the CMAS leader
to the media. It is being examined," a senior official said.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik had invited the CMAS after
Maoist-nominated mediators, B D Sharma and Dandapani Mohanty,
who took part in inconclusive talks for 10 days for the
release of Bosusco, left on Saturday saying they were leaving
as the government required more time.
Meanwhile, back channel efforts were underway by the
state government to free Italian Puri-based tour operator,
Paolo Bosusco, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened