Maoist couple killed in Odisha gun battle
Bhubaneswar: A Maoist couple was gunned down by police in Odisha`s Koraput district, an official said Friday.
Chitrakam Reddy alias Sitru, 30, and his wife were killed in a forested area near Badamathur village, 600 km from here, Thursday night when a police team raided a Maoist camp in the region following an intelligence input.
The exchange of fire lasted for two hours, Koraput Superintendent of Police Anup Kumar Sahu said, adding that the couple were killed on the spot while the other rebels managed to escape.
Sitru was the Communist Party of India-Maoist`s (CPI-Maoist) area commander of the Jhanjabati Srikakulam division that operates in parts of Koraput district and Vijayanagaram area of Andhra Pradesh, he said.
The rebel leader was accused of committing crimes like murder, loot, arson and extortion. Two locally made guns and Maoist literature were seized, Sahu said.
The tribal-populated Koraput district is considered a Maoist stronghold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- BJP ally Shiv Sena accuses saffron party of spreading falsehood, rumours
- TCS to be levied above Rs 2 lakh only if payment in cash: CBDT
- Locals, tourists trying to make drug-peddling a business: Goa CM
- Watch: Panaji Mayor Surendra Furtado, 6 others fall in creek during a de-weeding drive
- Three brothers, including two juveniles, gang-rape minor girl