Maoist couple killed in Odisha gun battle
Bhubaneswar: A Maoist couple was gunned down by police in Odisha`s Koraput district, an official said Friday.
Chitrakam Reddy alias Sitru, 30, and his wife were killed in a forested area near Badamathur village, 600 km from here, Thursday night when a police team raided a Maoist camp in the region following an intelligence input.
The exchange of fire lasted for two hours, Koraput Superintendent of Police Anup Kumar Sahu said, adding that the couple were killed on the spot while the other rebels managed to escape.
Sitru was the Communist Party of India-Maoist`s (CPI-Maoist) area commander of the Jhanjabati Srikakulam division that operates in parts of Koraput district and Vijayanagaram area of Andhra Pradesh, he said.
The rebel leader was accused of committing crimes like murder, loot, arson and extortion. Two locally made guns and Maoist literature were seized, Sahu said.
The tribal-populated Koraput district is considered a Maoist stronghold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery