Memorial pillar of Kargil martyr yet to come up in
Kendrapara: As the country on Friday observed Vijay Divas paying glowing tributes to heroes of Kargil war, authorities in Odisha are yet to construct a memorial pillar for a martyr who laid down his life in the war.
Sachidananda Mallick, of Kandiahata area of Kendrapara district was enrolled in the Army as a sepoy in 12 Mahar regiment in 1989 and later he was promoted to the rank of Lance Naik. Fighting for the country in Kargil conflict, he had laid down his life on 28 June 1999.
Foundation stone plaque of Mallick`s memorial pillar is gathering dust in his native Kandiahata village and 12 years the authorities are yet to erect the memorial pillar.
On 28 June, 2001, the then Lok Sabha member Pravat Samantaray accompanied by the district collector had laid the foundation stone of the memorial pillar. Work for pillar installation has not progressed an inch since then.
Samantray had also sanctioned funds for the memorial pillar under Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS).
The Block Development Officer (BDO) of Rajkanika, Basudeb Mahari said "I do not know any thing about the memorial pillar project. I am new to the place. However, steps would be taken to put in place the memorial pillar."
"It`s a dishonour to a martyr. It is indeed unfortunate that the memorial pillar is yet to come up," former Kendrapara MP Pravat Samantaray said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened