Memorial pillar of Kargil martyr yet to come up in
Kendrapara: As the country on Friday observed Vijay Divas paying glowing tributes to heroes of Kargil war, authorities in Odisha are yet to construct a memorial pillar for a martyr who laid down his life in the war.
Sachidananda Mallick, of Kandiahata area of Kendrapara district was enrolled in the Army as a sepoy in 12 Mahar regiment in 1989 and later he was promoted to the rank of Lance Naik. Fighting for the country in Kargil conflict, he had laid down his life on 28 June 1999.
Foundation stone plaque of Mallick`s memorial pillar is gathering dust in his native Kandiahata village and 12 years the authorities are yet to erect the memorial pillar.
On 28 June, 2001, the then Lok Sabha member Pravat Samantaray accompanied by the district collector had laid the foundation stone of the memorial pillar. Work for pillar installation has not progressed an inch since then.
Samantray had also sanctioned funds for the memorial pillar under Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS).
The Block Development Officer (BDO) of Rajkanika, Basudeb Mahari said "I do not know any thing about the memorial pillar project. I am new to the place. However, steps would be taken to put in place the memorial pillar."
"It`s a dishonour to a martyr. It is indeed unfortunate that the memorial pillar is yet to come up," former Kendrapara MP Pravat Samantaray said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- On being No. 1 in Tests: We need to do a lot to maintain it, says Pakistan skipper Misbah-ul-Haq
- Reasons why you're having chest pain!
- Madhya Pradesh assembly to consider GST Bill today
- Rohith Vemula suicide case: Hyderabad V-C can't be held responsible, concludes HRD probe panel
- Saradha scam: ED summons P Chidambaram's wife Nalini