Memorial pillar of Kargil martyr yet to come up in
Kendrapara: As the country on Friday observed Vijay Divas paying glowing tributes to heroes of Kargil war, authorities in Odisha are yet to construct a memorial pillar for a martyr who laid down his life in the war.
Sachidananda Mallick, of Kandiahata area of Kendrapara district was enrolled in the Army as a sepoy in 12 Mahar regiment in 1989 and later he was promoted to the rank of Lance Naik. Fighting for the country in Kargil conflict, he had laid down his life on 28 June 1999.
Foundation stone plaque of Mallick`s memorial pillar is gathering dust in his native Kandiahata village and 12 years the authorities are yet to erect the memorial pillar.
On 28 June, 2001, the then Lok Sabha member Pravat Samantaray accompanied by the district collector had laid the foundation stone of the memorial pillar. Work for pillar installation has not progressed an inch since then.
Samantray had also sanctioned funds for the memorial pillar under Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS).
The Block Development Officer (BDO) of Rajkanika, Basudeb Mahari said "I do not know any thing about the memorial pillar project. I am new to the place. However, steps would be taken to put in place the memorial pillar."
"It`s a dishonour to a martyr. It is indeed unfortunate that the memorial pillar is yet to come up," former Kendrapara MP Pravat Samantaray said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India