Mob torches vehicles, building, 3 cops suspended
Angul: Angry over custodial death of a youth, protesters torched an old police station building and vehicles in Odisha`s Angul district even as three police personnel including in-charge of Jarapara police station, were placed under suspension Wednesday in connection with the incident.
A large number of people went on rampage and set afire the old Jarapara police station building and about half a dozen vehicles last evening protesting the death of Sanjay Dehury of Ughi village, Angul district Superintendent of Police Narasingh Bhol said.
The demonstrators also blocked National Highway 55 for a few hours and indulged in brick-bating. Senior police officials including the SP rushed to the spot with police reinforcements to defuse the situation.
Assistant sub-inspector of police S K Satpathy, constable Arjun Satpathy and in-charge of Jarapara police station, Harmohan Nayak was placed under suspension today, the SP said.
Mob violence broke out after locals alleged that Dehury village, who was picked up by police on December 31 following a complaint lodged by another youth, died in police custody after being tortured.
However, police maintained that Dehury had committed suicide. The locals refused to buy the police version and alleged that he had been tortured in the lock-up and wanted to know why the body was quickly shifted to Angul hospital without the inquest by a magistrate.
The SP denied the charge of foul play and said Dehury had not been tortured in the police station.
DIG of north central range P S Ranpise said the death will be investigated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow