Mob torches vehicles, building, 3 cops suspended
Angul: Angry over custodial death of a youth, protesters torched an old police station building and vehicles in Odisha`s Angul district even as three police personnel including in-charge of Jarapara police station, were placed under suspension Wednesday in connection with the incident.
A large number of people went on rampage and set afire the old Jarapara police station building and about half a dozen vehicles last evening protesting the death of Sanjay Dehury of Ughi village, Angul district Superintendent of Police Narasingh Bhol said.
The demonstrators also blocked National Highway 55 for a few hours and indulged in brick-bating. Senior police officials including the SP rushed to the spot with police reinforcements to defuse the situation.
Assistant sub-inspector of police S K Satpathy, constable Arjun Satpathy and in-charge of Jarapara police station, Harmohan Nayak was placed under suspension today, the SP said.
Mob violence broke out after locals alleged that Dehury village, who was picked up by police on December 31 following a complaint lodged by another youth, died in police custody after being tortured.
However, police maintained that Dehury had committed suicide. The locals refused to buy the police version and alleged that he had been tortured in the lock-up and wanted to know why the body was quickly shifted to Angul hospital without the inquest by a magistrate.
The SP denied the charge of foul play and said Dehury had not been tortured in the police station.
DIG of north central range P S Ranpise said the death will be investigated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Some parties trying to create anti-Centre sentiment, says Venkaiah Naidu
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog