Monsoon now covers whole of Odisha
Bhubaneswar: The southwest monsoon which moved into Odisha two days ago advanced rapidly and covered the entire state on Tuesday, the weather office here said.
"The southwest monsoon has further advanced into remaining parts and covered the whole of the state today (Tuesday)," S C Sahu, director of the Metereological Centre at Bhubaneswar, said.
A good monsoon is crucial for the state, which has an agrarian economy with about 73 percent of the work force engaged in the agriculture sector. Odisha contributes about one-tenth of the country`s total rice production.
The monsoon normally reaches the state by June 10. However, this year it has arrived after a week`s delay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the impact of secret data leak of Scorpene submarine on India's security
- DNA: Analyzing the impact of secret data leak of Scorpene submarine on India's security Part II
- DNA: Analyzing the possible hands indulged in Scorpene Submarine data leak
- DNA: Analyzing the media coverage on Kashmir violence
- DNA: PM Modi's photos and Indian flag raised during protests in Balochistan
- This new insulin pill could end painful treatment for diabetes patients
- Lewis Hamilton may take grid demotion at Belgian GP, confirm Mercedes
- Rahul Gandhi defamation case: Congress hits back at RSS, says why didn't Sangh file defamation case against others
- Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger admits he's `scared` of retirement
- BJP appoints Laxman Gilua as new Jharkhand party chief