Monsoon now covers whole of Odisha
Bhubaneswar: The southwest monsoon which moved into Odisha two days ago advanced rapidly and covered the entire state on Tuesday, the weather office here said.
"The southwest monsoon has further advanced into remaining parts and covered the whole of the state today (Tuesday)," S C Sahu, director of the Metereological Centre at Bhubaneswar, said.
A good monsoon is crucial for the state, which has an agrarian economy with about 73 percent of the work force engaged in the agriculture sector. Odisha contributes about one-tenth of the country`s total rice production.
The monsoon normally reaches the state by June 10. However, this year it has arrived after a week`s delay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting
- Islamic State supporters hail deadly Munich shooting on social media
- 1st Test, Day 2 Report: Kohli double ton, Ashwin century put India in charge against West Indies
- Silicon Valley leads avalanche of quarterly reports
- UN backs plan to rid Libya of chemical weapons