Monsoon now covers whole of Odisha
Bhubaneswar: The southwest monsoon which moved into Odisha two days ago advanced rapidly and covered the entire state on Tuesday, the weather office here said.
"The southwest monsoon has further advanced into remaining parts and covered the whole of the state today (Tuesday)," S C Sahu, director of the Metereological Centre at Bhubaneswar, said.
A good monsoon is crucial for the state, which has an agrarian economy with about 73 percent of the work force engaged in the agriculture sector. Odisha contributes about one-tenth of the country`s total rice production.
The monsoon normally reaches the state by June 10. However, this year it has arrived after a week`s delay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?