Odisha: 5 Germans defy ban, visit Maoist-hit areas
Bolangir: Defying ban orders, five Germans entered a Maoist-hit area in Bolangir district and stayed there for a week before being picked up by police.
The Germans stayed at Turla, about 80 km from here, without the knowledge of police and administration, police said on Sunday.
When the matter came to light through local media, police picked up the foreigners from the premises of an NGO along with its founder Annata Putel yesterday.
After interrogation and verification of their passports and visa, the foreign nationals were asked not to visit any Maoist-affected area, police said.
Following abduction of two Italians by Maoists on March 14 in Kandhamal district, visit of foreigners to such areas in the state was banned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...