Odisha: 5 Germans defy ban, visit Maoist-hit areas
Bolangir: Defying ban orders, five Germans entered a Maoist-hit area in Bolangir district and stayed there for a week before being picked up by police.
The Germans stayed at Turla, about 80 km from here, without the knowledge of police and administration, police said on Sunday.
When the matter came to light through local media, police picked up the foreigners from the premises of an NGO along with its founder Annata Putel yesterday.
After interrogation and verification of their passports and visa, the foreign nationals were asked not to visit any Maoist-affected area, police said.
Following abduction of two Italians by Maoists on March 14 in Kandhamal district, visit of foreigners to such areas in the state was banned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?