Odisha: 5 Germans defy ban, visit Maoist-hit areas
Bolangir: Defying ban orders, five Germans entered a Maoist-hit area in Bolangir district and stayed there for a week before being picked up by police.
The Germans stayed at Turla, about 80 km from here, without the knowledge of police and administration, police said on Sunday.
When the matter came to light through local media, police picked up the foreigners from the premises of an NGO along with its founder Annata Putel yesterday.
After interrogation and verification of their passports and visa, the foreign nationals were asked not to visit any Maoist-affected area, police said.
Following abduction of two Italians by Maoists on March 14 in Kandhamal district, visit of foreigners to such areas in the state was banned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre