Odisha alerts fishermen over cyclone Helen
Bhubaneswar: Fishermen in southern Odisha were on Thursday warned against venturing out into the sea due to formation of severe cyclonic storm Helen over the Bay of Bengal.
The cyclonic storm over west central Bay of Bengal moved slightly towards the northwest and lay centred at about 410 km south by southwest of the port town of Gopalpur, a weather official said.
It would move northwestwards slowly for some time, then westward and cross Andhra Pradesh coast near Machillipatnam around Friday afternoon or evening, a senior official of the Bhubaneswar meteorological centre told a news agency.
Fishermen on the south Odisha coast have been advised not to venture into the sea while fishermen on the north Odisha coast have been advised to be cautious while venturing out, he said.
There is no threat to the state`s coast but rain or thundershowers may occur at many places during the next two days. One or two places may see heavy rain, the official said.
Paradip and Gopalpur ports have been asked to keep distant storm warning signal number two hoisted, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living