Odisha alerts fishermen over cyclone Helen
Bhubaneswar: Fishermen in southern Odisha were on Thursday warned against venturing out into the sea due to formation of severe cyclonic storm Helen over the Bay of Bengal.
The cyclonic storm over west central Bay of Bengal moved slightly towards the northwest and lay centred at about 410 km south by southwest of the port town of Gopalpur, a weather official said.
It would move northwestwards slowly for some time, then westward and cross Andhra Pradesh coast near Machillipatnam around Friday afternoon or evening, a senior official of the Bhubaneswar meteorological centre told a news agency.
Fishermen on the south Odisha coast have been advised not to venture into the sea while fishermen on the north Odisha coast have been advised to be cautious while venturing out, he said.
There is no threat to the state`s coast but rain or thundershowers may occur at many places during the next two days. One or two places may see heavy rain, the official said.
Paradip and Gopalpur ports have been asked to keep distant storm warning signal number two hoisted, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Manufacturing growth to be higher in Q2 on better export outlook: Survey
- Assocham for penalty waiver in initial phase of GST rollout
- Roberto Martinez announced Thierry Henry as assistant coach for Belgium
- Olympic Dreams: Rickshaw driver buys shooter daughter rifle worth 5 lakh that was saved for her wedding
- Sonam Kapoor to campaign against malnutrition