Odisha CM steps up demand for special category status
Bhubaneswar: After Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, his Odisha counterpart Naveen Patnaik stepped up the demand for special category status for the state on Monday saying it was a `genuine right`.
"No one can ignore Odisha`s demand. It deserves special category status. It is a genuine right," Patnaik said addressing the state-level celebration of its 77th foundation day.
Asserting that Odisha fulfilled all the criteria to be accorded the special category status, he said all required parameters except the one on international border was met by the state. "Odisha`s development can be faster if it is accorded special category status," the Chief Minister said.
Claiming that none can stop Odisha from achieving the special category status, he said "we do not want anybody`s mercy but fulfilment of our genuine demand."
The state government was contributing to the national exchequer by way of royalty from mines, earning from railways and other taxes. "While we contribute a lot to the Centre, the state gets minimal help from it under the federal structure," Patnaik said.
The state, he claimed, had progressed in all spheres. Besides ensuring a `strong` food security, it has recorded satisfctory growth in literacy and higher education, check drop-out rates, reduction in poverty and above all economic activities.
A series of cultural extravaganzas was held, including a laser show on contributions and sacrifices made by eminent leaders for the formation of a separate Odisha state under British rule on linguistic basis on April 1, 1936 besides a host of other programmes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology