Odisha CM steps up demand for special category status
Bhubaneswar: After Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, his Odisha counterpart Naveen Patnaik stepped up the demand for special category status for the state on Monday saying it was a `genuine right`.
"No one can ignore Odisha`s demand. It deserves special category status. It is a genuine right," Patnaik said addressing the state-level celebration of its 77th foundation day.
Asserting that Odisha fulfilled all the criteria to be accorded the special category status, he said all required parameters except the one on international border was met by the state. "Odisha`s development can be faster if it is accorded special category status," the Chief Minister said.
Claiming that none can stop Odisha from achieving the special category status, he said "we do not want anybody`s mercy but fulfilment of our genuine demand."
The state government was contributing to the national exchequer by way of royalty from mines, earning from railways and other taxes. "While we contribute a lot to the Centre, the state gets minimal help from it under the federal structure," Patnaik said.
The state, he claimed, had progressed in all spheres. Besides ensuring a `strong` food security, it has recorded satisfctory growth in literacy and higher education, check drop-out rates, reduction in poverty and above all economic activities.
A series of cultural extravaganzas was held, including a laser show on contributions and sacrifices made by eminent leaders for the formation of a separate Odisha state under British rule on linguistic basis on April 1, 1936 besides a host of other programmes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened