Odisha cyclone claims 44 lives, focus on relief, restoration
Bhubaneswar: The Odisha government on Friday said it would prepare a memorandum to seek central assistance in the next two days for relief and restoration works in the cyclone and flood affected districts, even as the death toll in the twin calamities mounted to 44.
"Death toll in the cyclone and resultant floods rose to 44. While 21 people died of cyclone, 23 others succumbed to floods," Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) P K Mohapatra told reporters, adding, that one more body was recovered from Bhadrak district.
Only 14,400 people, out of over 11.54 lakh evacuated during the calamities, were in relief camps today while others have left for their homes, he said.
"We have sanctioned about Rs 250 crore for relief and restoration works, but have so far not received any financial assistance from the Centre," the SRC said.
Putting the number of affected people in the cyclone and floods at 1.24 crore, the state government maintained the number of disaster-hit villages in 17 districts was 18,117.
"Drinking water has been provided to 75 per cent of people. Relief and restoration work is also picking up," said Chief Secretary J K Mohapatra, adding, the state government would prepare the memorandum to be submitted to the Centre in two days.
Stating that Ganjam, Balasore and Mayurbhanj were identified as the worst cyclone and subsequent flood-hit districts in the state, Revenue and Disaster Management minister S N Patro said, "Relief and restoration work was the focus for the government now."
Replying a question, Patro said over 2.21 lakh families have so far been provided with relief materials and the government is confident of covering all affected persons by October 22.
"We have so far distributed relief to 1.53 lakh people of the total 7.56 lakh affected persons in Ganjam," he said.
Stating that power restoration work was affected in some places due to acts of hooliganism, Patro said the home department would today issue a formal notification to book the miscreants under Essential Services Maintenance Act (ESMA).
The SRC has recommended suspension of five government officials on charges of dereliction in duties during relief and restoration activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!