Odisha deploys patrol after villagers block highway
Bhubaneswar: Policemen were deployed in Odisha`s worst cyclone-hit Ganjam district on Thursday, after villagers blocked a national highway demanding immediate relief, also disrupting the movement of vehicles laden with relief material.
Hundreds of policemen will patrol National Highway (NH) No 16 to ensure the smooth flow of vehicles with relief material, district Superintendent of Police AK Singh told a news agency.
More than 300 people on Wednesday blocked NH-16 near Rambha, about 140 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, for more than an hour, disrupting the movement of trucks. Other roads were also blocked by people demanding that they be provided relief first.
Singh said 300 policemen would patrol the highway, while another 300 will provide security cover to officials engaged in relief work.
"We will not spare anyone who blocks roads and obstructs movement of relief vehicles," he said.
The very severe tropical cyclone Phailin in the Bay of Bengal, which struck on Saturday night near Gopalpur in Ganjam district, has left a trail of destruction. It brought heavy rains and caused flooding.
Relief and restoration work is continuing on a war footing in the districts worst affected by Phailin, including Ganjam, Puri, Gajapati and Khurda. Floods have ravaged vast tracts in Balasore, Bhadrak, Keonjhar, Mayurbhanj and Jajpur districts.
While the deaths in the disaster have so far reached 36, the state government has said that about 1.2 crore people in 17 districts of the state have been affected by the cyclone and subsequent floods.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata