Odisha deploys patrol after villagers block highway
Bhubaneswar: Policemen were deployed in Odisha`s worst cyclone-hit Ganjam district on Thursday, after villagers blocked a national highway demanding immediate relief, also disrupting the movement of vehicles laden with relief material.
Hundreds of policemen will patrol National Highway (NH) No 16 to ensure the smooth flow of vehicles with relief material, district Superintendent of Police AK Singh told a news agency.
More than 300 people on Wednesday blocked NH-16 near Rambha, about 140 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, for more than an hour, disrupting the movement of trucks. Other roads were also blocked by people demanding that they be provided relief first.
Singh said 300 policemen would patrol the highway, while another 300 will provide security cover to officials engaged in relief work.
"We will not spare anyone who blocks roads and obstructs movement of relief vehicles," he said.
The very severe tropical cyclone Phailin in the Bay of Bengal, which struck on Saturday night near Gopalpur in Ganjam district, has left a trail of destruction. It brought heavy rains and caused flooding.
Relief and restoration work is continuing on a war footing in the districts worst affected by Phailin, including Ganjam, Puri, Gajapati and Khurda. Floods have ravaged vast tracts in Balasore, Bhadrak, Keonjhar, Mayurbhanj and Jajpur districts.
While the deaths in the disaster have so far reached 36, the state government has said that about 1.2 crore people in 17 districts of the state have been affected by the cyclone and subsequent floods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand