Odisha govt lacks information on Polavaram project: Opposition
Bhubaneswar: Opposition Congress and BJP in Odisha on Tuesday alleged that BJD government lacked adequate information on the controversial Polavaram project and demanded a white paper on it.
"We are totally in the dark as to how the Polavaram project will affect the state. We do not exactly know how much land will be submerged in the backwater of Polavaram Dam and how many tribal villages to be displaced," Leader of Opposition Narasingha Mishra of Congress told the state Assembly during zero hour.
He also asked the state government to conduct a discussion on the issue after placing adequate information on impact of the project on Odisha.
"Let the state government place facts and data on the possible impact of Polavaram project. We will stand by the state if Polavaram project actually has any adverse impact on the tribals of Malkangiri," BJP state unit president KV Singhdeo said.
The state government, he said, must place the information for the MLAs` knowledge and inform them of the discussions between the ministerial team of the state and Andhra Pradesh government in 2002 held at the project site.
"BJP stands for the interest of Odisha so far Polavaram project is concerned. We will support the state`s claim even though the central government has passed the Bill," he added.
The issue was raised in the Assembly during zero hour when members cutting across party lines expressed their concern over the passage of Andra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill which paved way for the construction of the Polavaram project over Godavari river despite Odisha`s opposition.
The opposition members said though they were ready to fight for the state`s interest, the BJD government did not provide them adequate information on the project.
BJD member Ranendra Pratap Swain, Samir Das and others supported the opposition`s demand on the white paper.
BJD MLA Amar Prasad Satpathy alleged that the proposed Polavaram dam height was increased arbitrarily without taking Odisha government into confidence violating the Godavari Water Dispute Tribunal Award and did not conform to the national standards and norms.
Government Chief Whip Ananta Das said BJD had objection to the proposal of setting up a House committee on Polavaram project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender