Odisha: Man arrested for poaching wild tusker
Berhampur: Forest officials have arrested a man for allegedly poaching a wild tusker for ivory in Odisha`s Ganjam district.
Lambodar Nayak of Samalei village was arrested on Wednesday for killing the elephant whose carcass was found by forest officials from dense forests of Karchuli area under Buguda range, officials said today.
Efforts are on to arrest three other accomplices of Nayak allegedly involved in laying live wires in the jungle to kill the wild animal, said divisional forest officer, Ghumusar (South) RC Sethi.
The tusk of the elephant, which was allegedly looted by the poachers after the death of the tusker, was yet to be recovered, the DFO said.
The old elephant was electrocuted after the animal got entangled in live electric wires, laid by the poachers. Forest officials recovered the electric wires from the spot.
The DFO said raids were conducted in several places in the area to arrest the other accused persons involved in killing the animal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda