Odisha rights body seeks report on woman`s gang rape
Bhubaneswar: The Odisha State Human Rights Commission (OSHRC) has asked authorities to submit within two weeks a report on the alleged gang rape of a woman in police custody in the state`s Koraput district earlier this month, a lawyer said here on Sunday.
The woman was among seven people arrested on September 04 in the Narayanpatna area of Koraput, over 500 km from here, for their alleged link with Maoists, activist and lawyer Biswapriya Kanungo, who lodged a complaint with the commission on the matter, told a news agency.
Ignoring the law, which states that police should produce an accused in a court within 24 hours of arrest, all those arrested were produced in a local court two days later. But the woman was allegedly gang raped by some policemen while she was in police custody, Kanungo added.
Kanungo said he came to know about the matter from local newspapers and filed a complaint with OSHRC on Saturday, following which the commission directed the Koraput superintendent of police to submit a report on the alleged rape within two weeks, he said.
"I have requested the commission to order an independent probe into the matter and immediate actions be taken against the guilty. Besides a compensation of Rs 10 lakh should be provided to the victim," Kanungo said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive