Odisha schools with less than five students to close
Berhampur: At least 10 primary and upper primary schools in Odisha`s Ganjam district with a student strength of less than five will be closed down.
There are two such schools each in Aska and Chikiti blocks, one each in Ganjam, Rangeilunda, Purushottampur and Patrapur, officials said today.
"The government has asked us to merge schools with low enrolment (less than five students) with the nearest ones after getting district committee`s approval," said district project coordinator of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan, Sudam Mandal.
Teachers of these schools would be transferred to other schools, he said adding Anganwadi centres of the villages would be run in the closed school buildings.
Members of the committee emphasised on rationalisation of student-teacher ratio in all schools, while transferring the teachers. The student-teacher ratio in the district is around 30:1. At Chikiti, it is 24:1 and Sheragada 36:1, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan