Odisha schools with less than five students to close
Berhampur: At least 10 primary and upper primary schools in Odisha`s Ganjam district with a student strength of less than five will be closed down.
There are two such schools each in Aska and Chikiti blocks, one each in Ganjam, Rangeilunda, Purushottampur and Patrapur, officials said today.
"The government has asked us to merge schools with low enrolment (less than five students) with the nearest ones after getting district committee`s approval," said district project coordinator of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan, Sudam Mandal.
Teachers of these schools would be transferred to other schools, he said adding Anganwadi centres of the villages would be run in the closed school buildings.
Members of the committee emphasised on rationalisation of student-teacher ratio in all schools, while transferring the teachers. The student-teacher ratio in the district is around 30:1. At Chikiti, it is 24:1 and Sheragada 36:1, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Good news! Shahid Kapoor and wifey Mira Rajput blessed with a baby girl
- Obama establishes world`s largest marine reserve in Hawaii
- Canadian twins plead guilty to terrorism, face jail time
- Apple issues update after cyber weapon captured
- Pakistani man who made deer skin sandals for Shah Rukh Khan arrested