Odisha schools with less than five students to close
Berhampur: At least 10 primary and upper primary schools in Odisha`s Ganjam district with a student strength of less than five will be closed down.
There are two such schools each in Aska and Chikiti blocks, one each in Ganjam, Rangeilunda, Purushottampur and Patrapur, officials said today.
"The government has asked us to merge schools with low enrolment (less than five students) with the nearest ones after getting district committee`s approval," said district project coordinator of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan, Sudam Mandal.
Teachers of these schools would be transferred to other schools, he said adding Anganwadi centres of the villages would be run in the closed school buildings.
Members of the committee emphasised on rationalisation of student-teacher ratio in all schools, while transferring the teachers. The student-teacher ratio in the district is around 30:1. At Chikiti, it is 24:1 and Sheragada 36:1, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Singer Shweta Pandit gets married to Italian beau Ivano Fucci
- Nation remembers "Missile Man" APJ Abdul Kalam on his 1st death anniversary
- SHOCKING! Narsingh Yadav wanted to kill himself after dope test fiasco?
- Whoa! Ranbir Kapoor's new house is ready, GUESS who designed it?
- East India's first cadaver liver transplant in Kolkata