Orissa: 5 homeguards resign fearing Maoist attacks
Koraput (Orissa): Five homeguards of
Machkund police station in Orissa`s Koraput station resigned
on Saturday fearing Maoist attacks.
This comes less than 48 hours after the gunning down of
a homeguard in the district by Maoists at Onkadeli haat, about
85 km from here during daylight hours.
The homeguards tendered their resignation to the
inspector in-charge of Machkund police station during the day.
"There is no security and we don?t want to continue.
The Maoists may target us at any moment. So, we don?t wish to
continue in our posts. It?s better to resign from the job and
to look for some other alternative," said one of the
homeguards after putting in his papers.
IIC Machkund, D J Barik confirmed the resignations and
said "We have informed our higher ups about the matter for
A few months ago Maoists had put up posters at various
places in the district asking homeguards to quit their jobs as
they were suspected to act as police informers.
In another incident, traffic was hit between Orissa
and Andhra Pradesh when Maoists put up road blockades at
Almonda, about 100 km from here, by felling trees on Saturday.
Maoist posters near the blockade site have demanded the
withdrawal of para-military forces from the area and
observance of protest week from July 4-10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt