Orissa minister, lawmakers to get three-fold salary hike
Bhubaneswar: Orissa ministers and lawmakers are set to get a nearly three-fold hike in their salary apart from perks with retrospective effect from April 1, 2010, an official said on Saturday.
The proposal got the nod from the state cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Friday evening but the salary hike will be effective only after a bill in this regard is approved by the state assembly.
The salary and perks of the Chief Minister will now go up to Rs 59,000 from the current Rs 20,000, the cabinet ministers and leader of opposition will now get Rs 58,000 from the current Rs 18,000, an official of the state parliamentary affairs department told a news agency.
As per the proposal, the speaker`s total wages will now be Rs 58,000 against the current Rs 19,000.
The cabinet also approved a three-fold hike for legislators, who will now be paid Rs 60,000 as opposed to the present Rs 21,950 including allowances.
In Orissa, the Chief Minister is paid a monthly salary slightly lower than the legislators.
The government has also proposed a hike in the minimum pension amount for former legislators, raising it from the existing Rs 6,000 to Rs 15,000.
While the ruling party members have welcomed the decision, the opposition Communist Party of India (CPI) has criticised the move.
"If the legislators want bigger salary, they should quit politics," state unit secretary of the CPI Dibakar Nayak told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days