Orissa: Probe into horse-trading charges
Bhubaneswar: The Orissa government on Friday asked the home department to probe alleged horse-trading during last year`s Rajya Sabha elections even as Opposition
Congress and BJP demanded a CBI inquiry into it.
"The matter has been referred to the home department for examination," Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik told reporters here.
The state government directed the investigation in view of media reports and some television channels airing audio tapes alleging behind-the-scene deals, Home Secretary UN Behera said.
"We may try to procure the audio tapes from the TV channels if required," Behera said while declining to comment if the police would be involved in the investigation.
Congress and BJP, however, dismissed the probe. "We demand a CBI probe as the home department cannot give justice. How can the home department probe the role of the chief minister who also holds home portfolio?," asked PCC president Niranjan Patnaik.
Stating that the Congress has already demanded the resignation of the chief minister who was also president of the ruling BJD, the PCC chief said that home department could not probe the involvement of two ministers accused of making a deal with an MLA for abstaining from voting for the victory of the BJD`s third candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands