Orissa: Steel cos to be probed for iron ore source
Bhubaneswar: Two days after detection of
illegal mining of iron ore by a private company in Sundergarh
district, the Orissa government on Thursday said it would probe the
steel manufactures as to from where they sourced the mineral.
"Steel and Mines Department will enquire about the
sources of minerals (for companies), particularly iron ore
being procured by the private steel making firms," Chief
Secretary BK Patnaik said.
Patnaik said this after reviewing the status of
introduction of e-pass for transaction of minerals from mines
area to other places of the country.
The steel and mines officials would verify transit
pass of steel companies, the chief secretary said, adding that
steel and mines department had asked the director of mines to
verify exports done by different firms though ports for
According to the police, 18,000 tonnes of iron ore was
recently seized from Koira area of Sundergarh district and a
senior official of a private company was arrested on the
charges of illegal mining of iron ore.
The director of mines has been directed to engage CAG
empanelled chartered accountants to verify the records of
receipt of various ports, exports and supplying bills
available with the customs authorities.
Besides, Steel and Mines Secretary Manoj Ahuja issued
directions to the officials to conduct verification and audit
of returns/ accounts filed by the traders and exporters, with
the records being maintained in the government departments to
ensure that ore is legally mined and properly accounted for.
"The department also issued instruction for checking
of mineral carrying vehicles in check gates on inter-state
border," Ahuja said, adding that there were four major unified
checkgates at Girisola (Orissa-Andhra Pradesh border), Jamsola
(Orissa-West Bengal border), Biramitrapur (Orissa-Jharkhand
border) and at Murgabeda in Keonjhar district.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Structural reforms needed to put India on faster growth path
- Total prohibition decision dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi: Nitish
- Centre buys 2,300 tonnes of onion so far to build buffer
- Revealed! Sanjay Dutt opens up about his comeback plans
- Goa Board 12th HSSC Result 2016: Goaresults.nic.in & Gbshse.gov.in GBSHSE Class 12th HSSC Result 2016 is likely to be declared on May 10, 2016