Orissa: Steel cos to be probed for iron ore source
Bhubaneswar: Two days after detection of
illegal mining of iron ore by a private company in Sundergarh
district, the Orissa government on Thursday said it would probe the
steel manufactures as to from where they sourced the mineral.
"Steel and Mines Department will enquire about the
sources of minerals (for companies), particularly iron ore
being procured by the private steel making firms," Chief
Secretary BK Patnaik said.
Patnaik said this after reviewing the status of
introduction of e-pass for transaction of minerals from mines
area to other places of the country.
The steel and mines officials would verify transit
pass of steel companies, the chief secretary said, adding that
steel and mines department had asked the director of mines to
verify exports done by different firms though ports for
According to the police, 18,000 tonnes of iron ore was
recently seized from Koira area of Sundergarh district and a
senior official of a private company was arrested on the
charges of illegal mining of iron ore.
The director of mines has been directed to engage CAG
empanelled chartered accountants to verify the records of
receipt of various ports, exports and supplying bills
available with the customs authorities.
Besides, Steel and Mines Secretary Manoj Ahuja issued
directions to the officials to conduct verification and audit
of returns/ accounts filed by the traders and exporters, with
the records being maintained in the government departments to
ensure that ore is legally mined and properly accounted for.
"The department also issued instruction for checking
of mineral carrying vehicles in check gates on inter-state
border," Ahuja said, adding that there were four major unified
checkgates at Girisola (Orissa-Andhra Pradesh border), Jamsola
(Orissa-West Bengal border), Biramitrapur (Orissa-Jharkhand
border) and at Murgabeda in Keonjhar district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her