Police seal exit points, release sketch of Sabyasachi Panda
Bhubaneswar: Stepping up the hunt for Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda, suspected to be injured during an encounter on November 14 but managed to escape, Odisha Police on Saturday sealed all exit routes from jungles in the tri-junction of Gajapati-Ganjam and Kandhamal districts.
"We suspect that Panda or some other ultras might have sustained injuries during the operation," Southern range DIG RK Sharma told reporters at Mohana in Gajapati district.
"Our personnel are keeping a watch on all the exit points from the jungles in the tri-junction area," Sharma said.
"The police have warned all health centres to inform police if they arrive for treatment," said Sharma, who reviewed the situation with the SPs of Ganjam and Gajapati districts and a DIG rank officer of the CRPF at Mohana.
The police also pasted posters of Panda at public places announcing a reward for information leading to arrest of the Maoist leader.
Panda escaped during an encounter on Wednesday when five Maoists were killed.
Panda, for whom the Odisha government had announced a reward of Rs 20 lakh, was allegedly involved in the killing of the VHP leader Swami Laxamananda Saraswati which sparked a communal riot in Kandhamal district in 2008.
Panda also abducted two Italian nationals in March from the Ganjam-Kandhamal border when they were on a trekking expedition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation