Potato price touches Rs 50 per kilo in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: With Odisha`s efforts to restore normal flow of potato consignments from West Bengal failing to yield any result, the price of potato mounted to Rs 50 a kilogram in the state.
"We have talked to all traders` associations to bring as much potato possible from Bihar and Kanpur(UP). Potato loaded vehicles have already left for Odisha. The crisis may continue for three more days till the vehicles reach here," state food and civil supplies minister P K Deb said.
The minister said the government was also taking steps to bring vegetables including potato from cold storages in Rayagada and Koraput districts.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik also assured early solution of the problem. "The state government is monitoring the situation closely. Normalcy will be restored soon," he said.
Meanwhile, opposition BJP activists blocked the NH-5 in Balasore, preventing movement of heavy vehicles to the neighbouring West Bengal.
The decision to hit road came after the West Bengal government paid no heed to the plight of Odisha which led to the crisis of potato.
Long queues outside potato outlets in local markets here have become a common sight over the past five days.
Odisha needs 400 truck-loads of potato daily, but there has been a substantial decline in the volume of supply, resulting to spike in the price of the tuber.
Meanwhile, the state government has announced to supply two kgs of potato per family through government retail stores like Maitri and at Rs 22 a kg from joint ventures like Udyan Fresh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’