Rape, murder of blind girl: Driver arrested, vehicle recovered
Puri: Two days after a visually challenged girl was allegedly abducted, raped and murdered on the outskirts of Puri town, police on Friday arrested a driver and also claimed to have recovered the vehicle used in the crime.
Banamali Barik, a driver, has been arrested, a senior police official said, adding that a jeep allegedly used in the crime was also seized from his possession.
"The circumstantial evidences indicate it to be a case of rape. The Post mortem report also did not rule out the possibility of rape of the blind girl," said Superintendent of Police of Puri Anup Sahu.
The swab sample of the slain girl has been sent for examination, Chief District Medical Officer (CDMO) of Puri Gyanendra Kumar Sahu said. "There were injuries on the private parts of the victim which indicated rape," the CDMO said.
The girl was studying in a Bhubaneswar based physically handicap school and had come to home during summer vacation.
Meanwhile, several social organisations have demanded capital punishment for the accused.
"We demand capital punishment to the culprit involved in the rape and murder of the 13-year-old blind girl. The trial of the case should be completed within one month," said Ajay Kumar Jena, president of Odisha State Disable Parents Association.
Women activists, led by AIDWA National Secretariat member Tapasi Praharaj, also visited the site of rape and met the victim`s parents.
"We demand strict action be taken by a fast track court within three months. We also demand Rs 10 lakh compensation to the family of the victim," Prajaraj said.
The Odisha State Commission for Women (SCW) sought a report from Puri Police within three weeks. The commission has also decided to visit the spot to review the situation, its chairperson Lopamudra Buxipatra said.
The incident took place on the night of June 5, when the 13-year-old blind girl was sleeping outside her house due to gruelling heat. Her body was recovered from a jungle area near Bedala village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch