Shah Commission`s probe nearing completion in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Taking note of the mining activities outside lease hold areas in the state, Justice MB Shah Commission of Inquiry on Friday indicated its investigation in Odisha was close to completion unless any major complication arose during final scrutiny.
"Tomorrow is the last day for working here. We`ll go back to Ahemedabad and finalise things. However, we cannot say that the team will not return here again. We may come back for investigation if required. It depends on circumstances," said U V Singh, leader of the six-member Commission probing the alleged multi-crore mining scam in the state.
The team, which had so far verified documents of about 150 iorn ore mines allegedly involved in the irregular and illegal mining practices, is scheduled to end its third phase of investigation on November 11. The Commission started its probe in Odisha in December 2011.
Singh said the Commission was likely to complete verification of all iron ore mines and some crucial manganese mines in the state by tomorrow.
"We require about 20 days to say whether the team will revisit the state. We have to consult legal officers including some high court judges," Singh, also the Principal Conservator of Forest in Karnataka, told reporters.
Asked whether the team came across mining activities beyond lease hold areas by certain mining companies, Singh said "we are taking note of that also. We will examine it."
The team members met Chief Secretary B K Patnaik at the secretariat and refused to divulge anything about findings so far. However, Singh indicated that the Commission was likely to submit its report within 90 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'