Steps being taken for peaceful Christmas in Kandhamal
Phulbani (Odisha): Steps were being taken to ensure that people in Odisha`s sensitive Kandhamal district could celebrate Christmas and New Year peacefully. the district.
"Police have been deployed at sensitive places to maintain law and order during the festivities," Superintendent of Police K B Singh said.
A peace committee meeting, comprising district administration officials, police officers and representatives of different communities took part in the meeting yesterday.
Similar meetings were held in sub-divisions, blocks and some communally sensitive villages in the district, which have a sizeable Christian population, during the last three days, Kandhamal District Collector N Thirumalla Nayak said.
"The administration will ensure uninterrupted power supply to churches on the night of December 24 for midnight mass," he said.
Kandhamal witnessed largescale violence after VHP leader Laxmanananda Saraswati and his four disciples were gunned down by miscreants on August 23, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi