Steps being taken for peaceful Christmas in Kandhamal
Phulbani (Odisha): Steps were being taken to ensure that people in Odisha`s sensitive Kandhamal district could celebrate Christmas and New Year peacefully. the district.
"Police have been deployed at sensitive places to maintain law and order during the festivities," Superintendent of Police K B Singh said.
A peace committee meeting, comprising district administration officials, police officers and representatives of different communities took part in the meeting yesterday.
Similar meetings were held in sub-divisions, blocks and some communally sensitive villages in the district, which have a sizeable Christian population, during the last three days, Kandhamal District Collector N Thirumalla Nayak said.
"The administration will ensure uninterrupted power supply to churches on the night of December 24 for midnight mass," he said.
Kandhamal witnessed largescale violence after VHP leader Laxmanananda Saraswati and his four disciples were gunned down by miscreants on August 23, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof