Ten Holi revellers drowned in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: At least 10 Holi revellers drowned and another was missing while taking bath in different water-bodies after celebrating the festival of colours on Thursday.
While three youths died while taking bath in river Bhargavi and one in river Daya on the outskirts of the state capital city, two other death reports came from Cuttack Road and Nayaplai areas here.
Police and fire brigade personnel have launched search operation for a youth from Old Town area in river Bhargavi.
While two persons died in Kendrapara district after being swept away by river water, one death each came Nayagarh and Ganjam districts, police said.
However, the day began with people applying colours on each other amid drum beats while exchanging greetings and distributing sweets.
Besides politicians of different parties, Holi was also celebrated at orphanages and educational campus with children enjoying the festival.
Though Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik was away in Delhi, members of his council of ministers, OPCC president Niranjan Patnaik joined the people in celebrating Holi.
Odisha Governor SC Jamir and Chief Minister Patnaik greeted the people on the occasion.
Joining the revellers, foreign tourists also played Holi in the sea-side pilgrim town Puri bringing the colour of spring on the sea beach.
The tourists from different countries, including 25 Japanese girls and boys joined the local people in celebrating holi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister