Ten Holi revellers drowned in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: At least 10 Holi revellers drowned and another was missing while taking bath in different water-bodies after celebrating the festival of colours on Thursday.
While three youths died while taking bath in river Bhargavi and one in river Daya on the outskirts of the state capital city, two other death reports came from Cuttack Road and Nayaplai areas here.
Police and fire brigade personnel have launched search operation for a youth from Old Town area in river Bhargavi.
While two persons died in Kendrapara district after being swept away by river water, one death each came Nayagarh and Ganjam districts, police said.
However, the day began with people applying colours on each other amid drum beats while exchanging greetings and distributing sweets.
Besides politicians of different parties, Holi was also celebrated at orphanages and educational campus with children enjoying the festival.
Though Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik was away in Delhi, members of his council of ministers, OPCC president Niranjan Patnaik joined the people in celebrating Holi.
Odisha Governor SC Jamir and Chief Minister Patnaik greeted the people on the occasion.
Joining the revellers, foreign tourists also played Holi in the sea-side pilgrim town Puri bringing the colour of spring on the sea beach.
The tourists from different countries, including 25 Japanese girls and boys joined the local people in celebrating holi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22