Three arrested for trying to extort money posing as Maoists
Rayagada: Three persons were arrested on Sunday for allegedly trying to extort money from a trader by posing as Maoists in Odisha`s Naxal-hit Rayagada district, police said.
The accused, identified as Rajendera Rout, Sanjit Naik and Arun Bagh, had pasted a fake maoist poster at the house of a trader identified as Ram Murty Naik of D Karolo village in Kashipur block on August 30 and had demanded Rs 30 lakh from him.
The trio had asked Naik to bring the money to a forest road near Ghoda Tikri village on August 31. As the trader did not follow their instruction, the three telephoned Naik and threatened him of dire consequences, said Inspector In-Charge of Doragura police station, Ramesh Chandra Bisoi.
The mobile phone used by the trio was tracked and subsequently they were arrested, he said adding during interrogation it was found that the accused didn`t have any link with maoists and had identified themselves as rebels to make quick buck.
While Arun and Sanjit worked as drivers in a private company, Rajendra stays at Tikri," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy